Close
Close
    annacathryn is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Why do my jpegs look better than my raw pics?

I've just returned from a holiday to The Kimberley in Western Australia and I've just started the rather huge task of sorting and editing my hundreds of photos! I set my camera to take a jpeg version and a raw version of each picture and on looking at them this morning I've noticed that more often than not, the jpeg looks better than the raw pic. The colours look richer and more how I remember the scene to be. One example is below. The jpeg picture looks redder and more vibrant than the jpeg

Jpeg:

IMG_6515

Raw:
    IMG_6515

It's the same with beach shots. The raw pics often look a bit over exposed where the jpeg looks to be more correct.

Why would this be? Any ideas? I'm using a Canon EOS 400D Digital.

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

The simple answer is your jpegs are processed and your raws are not. When you push the shutter button it takes a raw image and then if you have it set to save as jpeg the camera processes that image, throws away the info it does not need and then compresses it and saves a jpeg. If you don't tell it to save a raw then all the info in the raw is lost. You told it to save both, so now you have the raws and can process them to look just like the jpeg if you want, or hopefully look much better.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Jojie is offline dPS Forum Member

with jpg's check your in-camera settings. Chances are there are settings in there that you configured in the past. I used to shoot in jpg's but has since moved to RAW permanently ---- but ofcourse bigger hard drive and and all that stuff..

RAW - files can be daunting to some. But for many of us it's a life saver! It is very flexible and can save you photos that you've shot that looks really great but had the wrong settings on them...

back to your question though, that only thing I can think of why it appears differrent to that raw image is that the setting you have in-camera processed it that way -- either you have manual done a preset or whatever that preset did.

But you should be able to manipulate that under RAW anyway?

-- edited -- darn it didn't see the reply first before my novice reply. grr! sorry!
    Last edited by Jojie; 06-14-2010 at 02:27 AM.
    Flickr | Redbubble | My Profile
    Gear: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL, Canon EF 24-105L USM, Canon EF 50mm II, Canon Flash 430ex, Lumopro Flash 160, Cactus V4 and things for light stands etc for offlash.

annacathryn is offline dPS Forum Member

Thanks for your replies. That all makes sense now. I think given the sheer volume of photos I took on this trip, I shall use the jpegs where I can because in most instances they definitely look better. Then if I need to I can have a go at manipulating the odd RAW file that warrants some extra work. My post processing isn't up to much yet!

SLWRTHNU is offline -Love Child-

I'm using a Canon EOS 400D Digital
    That's what they were using.

RLucas is offline Looking for something

Quote Originally Posted by SLWRTHNU View Post
    That's what they were using.
    Thread was spammed.

andrewdt is offline Andrew

Keep your RAW files though in storage somewhere - as your post processing gets better you will want to have a crack at some of those to get the most out of them.
    Canon EOS 7D + 20D, 70-200mm F4, 17-55 F2.8 IS, 50mm F1.4, 550EX.

Hill Country Hack is online now dPS +1000 Club

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdt View Post
    Keep your RAW files though in storage somewhere - as your post processing gets better you will want to have a crack at some of those to get the most out of them.
    Outstanding advice. If you do not have the time or desire to "develop" you images from the RAW now, nothing says you may change your mind in the future. The only way to get better in processing images is to do it. I really like the software I use because it is not destructive to the original RAW file and better yet, it has a "reset" button to immediately go back to the plain RAW image.