Close
Close
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    kuul13 is offline "KlickzBySri"

Default Yongnuo - YN565EX speedlite not working

Guys

Anyone having YN565EX who can help me in identifying my problem. I got this few months back and was really happy with it's price, functionality, quality and performance. No complains until I reached the point where I don't whether it's speedlite that is not working or my lack of knowledge. Here is my present situation:

I have successfully used it wirelessly and on camera flash. Used my Nikon D80 + ETTL functionality without any problem. In last couple of days suddenly nothing is working for me. Here is what happens:

I attach it to my camera body, switch it on and verify that the setting on LCD shows M 1/8 Zoom 24mm, None of the other buttons work when the speedlite is attached to the camera except for ON/OFF button. I press release button and no flash is fired. I don't see the wireless sensor (red) light anymore. It used to work great before but no now.

Then I take out the speedlite, all the buttons work now. I am able to change the settings and use PILOT to test (if works). I keep all the setting same as above but change zoom to 70mm. Attach it back to my camera and this time speedlite fires (not very consistent, sometime it does and sometime it dies).

Wireless has stopped working. It doesn't fire with whatever setting I set. I changed the batteries but that too didn't work. But I can hear the beep but no flash. My settings for wireless (ETTL):
    I detach speedlight from camera and switch it on, press Zoom button for couple of seconds, LCD shows OFF (blinking), I press the right arrow key once to get to "SL on SLAVE" blinking. I select round button to select the slave setting. Now LCD shows CH 1, SLAVE A. Now I use my D80's pop up flash to trigger YN but nothing happened. Also I tried to change the zoom but flash didn't work at all. I didn't have any problem before, suddenly it stopped working.

Now I want to know what went wrong, what should I try more, I would appreciate if someone can help me fixing this otherwise I have to dump it and get a new speedlite.But, I am sure, I am doing something silly that I am not able to figure out. PLEASE HELP guys!!!
    <3 Sri
    Love Nikon D80, 18-135mm & 70-300mm
    Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr
    You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

It's a Yongnuo. They're cheap for a reason. You basically are gambling on whether or not you get a good copy.

Most of the sellers offer a warranty of some kind, but some don't offer any, so choose the seller carefully. If you purchased directly from Yongnuo on eBay, I believe the warranty is good for 1 year, but you will have to pay to ship it to Hong Kong to get it fixed/replaced. There is a known issue with a bad circuit board in the YN-565EX causing a lot of early deaths on units.

They've supposedly fixed this in units manufactured from May 15 of this year. But.

It's a Yongnuo. They're cheap for a reason.

Don't get me wrong. I have a Yongnuo YN-560 that I love to pieces and use all the time. But it was considerably cheaper ($65), and considerably simpler engineering, and I waited until it'd been out for over a year, and folks reported that the bad capacitor issue and the stuck zoom motor issues had been fixed. You really need to research these suckers before getting one, or know the gamble that you're taking.
    Last edited by inkista; 06-06-2012 at 01:21 AM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Inkista
    Thanks for the response. I know, what you pay is what you get but it was a quite a satisfactory journey with YN. I bought it in March and used it without any problem till now. Surprisingly it works on camera but fails off camera.

You know what, my first speedlite was well thought and a much much better Sigma EF 530 DG. Can you suggest me some decent ETTL flash compatible with Nikon that I can rely on for my upcoming event?
    <3 Sri
    Sriz Klickz - A Photography Cafe <- Appreciate if you give me a LIKE on Facebook.
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr
    You cherish a place only when you are there, but photographs are cherished life long.

You're gonna hate me.

Nikon SB-700.

You want reliability...the OEM SBs are going to be the best choice.

Realistically, you might want to try hunting up a used SB-600, or looking at the Metz Mecablitz 50, maybe.
    Last edited by inkista; 06-06-2012 at 02:19 AM.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

rspears is offline The Wedding Guy

Inkista always gives the advice I was gonna give. I tell all my Nikon friends they need a OEM flash, and then add generic cheaper flashes to supplement the OEM. When I pack my bag for location shoots, I have my SB700 and then I have a YNG560II and my trusty LumoPro LP160.
    Rich Spears www.rspearsphotography.com
    Blog | Flickr | Zenfolio
    Nikon D3s, D700, Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm 1.8

SwissJon is offline Enjoys shooting people.

I have an SB-600 and three SB-800 that I bought second hand.. I love them, they work very well with Nikon CLS, and the fact that I can control all the speedlights from the master speedlight, or on the camera if the camera allows.. That in itself is worth the extra money. My first speedlight was a YN560, which worked ok, but it was very basic, it broke quickly, ate battery and the recycle times were slow.. These Nikons must have had 100,000 actuations and they're still going. I would seriously recommend getting them on fleabay, they work like a charm.

Only "Gotcha" to watch out for is that the sb-600 (and the sb-700) can't be used as iTTL masters for off camera slaves unless the off camera slaves are set into stupid mode.
    Smile.. Don't make me press this shutter release twice!
    A photo needs to start and finish in your imagination, if it passes through your camera in between, that's cool, if it doesn't, that's cool also.
    Flickriver 500px Portfolio Website SoftlySensual (NSFW!!) Facebook

Jim Bryant is online now Stoned Cold Crazy
    2nd star to the left and straight on until morning

I've heard both good and back about Chinese flashes. Glad I have Canon flashes. I do have a few of the Vivitar 238's that still work.
    http://pa.photoshelter.com/c/jimbryant
    http://jimbryantphotography.blogspot.com/
    (1) EOS 1D MKIII (3) EOS 1D's, (3) EOS1D MKIIs', (1) EOS1Ds MKII, 14mmf2.8, 16-35mmf2.8, 28-70mmf2.8, 70-200mm f2.8, 300mm f2.8 and a 400mmf2.8, (4) 550 EX and 1 580E speedlite, and a Speed a tron studio flash system.

Thank you guys for the recommendations.. I am now sure that I need to leave my YN565 in peace and get OEM. As per the comments and reviews it seems that I should start saving some money to get SB700. And then look for some cheap one for additional flashes.

@Swissjon, I have never been to "fleabay" before. I checked that website, but didn't find my search for nikon speedlite give any result.

@Inkista, how is Metz Mecablitz 50? The price seems to be great. Not sure how trusty is the flash itself?

Generally, where do you guys shop for second hand speedlites?
    <3 Sri
    KlickzBySri @ Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by kuul13 View Post
    @Inkista, how is Metz Mecablitz 50?
    I've never seen one in real life, but the reputation is that they're probably the best of the 3rd parties. But it could just be because they're a German company, not a Chinese one.

Generally, where do you guys shop for second hand speedlites?
    I went to B&H to pick up my SB-26. B&H, Adorama, and KEH are the places I'll buy secondhand gear from. I like having reliable grading and a good return policy. A bit pricier than the 'bay or Craig's List, but also less hassle and potential issues. I've never had a problem with purchasing used gear from any of them.

digirebelva is offline Wondering Where I Am

I looked at the YN565 on Amazon (have a YN560), but saw far to many people having issues with them to consider spending money on a crapshoot. Bought a couple of older OEM flashes off of Ebay instead.
    Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

Page 1 of 2 12 Last