Close
Close
    tinton14 is offline dPS Forum Member

Default Filter choice, B+W or Hoya?

I'm currently looking for a filter to protect my 18-200mm kit lens since taking shots at night I've noticed reflection from lights on the images. I've been using the cheap filter that it came with when I got it, I looked back and see that it has been happening for quite a while when I was taking photos at night, use to think it was the tripod, but have upgraded to a stable tripod, so that rules that out. I've been looking around and found the Hoya and B+W 72mm filters both similar price and was wondering if anyone has used these and their opinions on these. Is there a difference between the quality of these two filters? What about cleaning these, I've seen some reviews of people complaining about the multi-coat being hard to clean on the Hoya filter. Any information on this would be very helpful. Thank you for all your help.

Here are the links for filters I'm looking at:
    Amazon.com: Hoya HMC Haze UV(0) - Filter - UV - 72 mm: DBROTH

Amazon.com: B+W 72mm UVA (Ultra Violet) Haze Filter #010: Camera & Photo

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

I prefer Hoyas because I trash my filters regularly. B+Ws have better build quality, though.

But.

A better filter is not going to solve your flare issue (it will mitigate it, but ...). In that situation, I'd actually take any UV filter off the lens, and use a hood to shade the lens.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Nicole is offline Dr. Super Moderator

Yep, I'd just recommend not using a filter at night because it can add reflections. So I totally agree with inkista.
    Nikon D600 | D90 | Sony NEX-3
    Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 70-300 | Lensbaby 2.0 | Nikkor 85 f/1.8D | Nikkor 105 f/2.8 VR | Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 | Nikkor 10.5 f/2.8 Fisheye | Sony 16 f/2.8 | Sony 18-55 | 2xSB600 | Orbis Ring Flash Adapter
    My Flickr

I've never thought about using a lens hood at night since the location had lights mostly behind me and the rest of the lights were from the buildings I was trying to take. I will definitely try taking the UV lens off then. I've read that the cheap filters will degrade the IQ, would the hoya/b+w do the same? Is there actually a difference between a $40/$100+ or a uv/skylight filters in the glass quality and how it would affect my images? I only own the cheap skylite uv filter so I don't really have anything to compare to. Thank you for your help.

inkista is offline Gear Geek Girl

Better multi-coated filters won't cause as much flare or lower the light transmission as much as super-cheap uncoated filters--I use them on all my lenses, because I'm a klutz and I shoot outside in dusty Southern California a lot. But it's still adding another piece of glass between the light and your lens. Whether or not you need one or should use one can be a matter of personal preference.

Some folks prefer keeping their front element pristine, and only risking a filter coating vs. the coating on the front element. Others say that if you pay $1000+ for a lens, why muck up that light transmission you paid so much for with a $40 filter? So, it depends.

Now, will you notice a difference between skylight and UV? Probably. Skylight filters are colored a slight pink/red. UV filters don't add a color cast.
    I shoot with a Canon 5DmkII, 50D, and S90, and Pansonic GX-7. flickr stream and equipment list

Here are two of the most obvious ones, first is with a flimsy tripod when I first got my camera and second was using a steady tripod a few months after.

lens flare

lens flare again
    I actually only had a problem with this building, I didn't notice this on the other buildings I was shooting at.

I feel safer with a filter on since I've found fingerprints, water drops, dust on my filter after shooting outside. My current filter doesn't have any red/pink color to it, it only says "skylite mc uv" on it. So is B+W a better brand overall compared to Hoya?
    inkista you mentioned the build quality of B+W being better, so why choose Hoya over it?

kirbinster is offline Always carry your camera

Bag the UV or Haze filter, just use the hood - you will get better images. For ND or CP filters I like B+W.
    Nikon D800e, D300, D5000, NIKON GLASS 85mm F/1.8 D, 105mm f/2.8 Micro AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII,10.5mm Fisheye, 24-70 AF-S f/2.8, TC-20E III AF-S, Sigma 12-24 HSM, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 150-500 OS, 2 SB-600 Speedlights, SB-900 speedlight, 4 YN-622N transceivers, Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
    Ok to edit and repost my shots on DPS forums

Isn't UV and Haze included in one filter? or is it one or the other? How does this really affect my images? I've read something about UV not being needed for dslr because the sensor is suppose to take care of that? (not sure since I've been reading a lot on all these and some information to get blurred together) Thanks again for all the help.