Close
Close
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last
    xhan is offline dPS Forum Member

Default How to photograph cars!?

I've been going to a few classic car shows the past few months but all the photos I take are boring and look the same.

I've tried exciting photoshopping but nothing seems to help.

Unfortunately I can't move the cars to a better location so I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me!! Examples would be great too.

These are the results I'm getting atm. Boring!! I want to make the cars interesting even for people that don't like classic cars!

Flickr Portfolio Blog

Canon EOS350D
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II | Canon EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II | Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6

oldwolf is offline Full of useless info.

It looks like you took those pictures while you were standing up. That's fine for one or two pictures but the angle gets boring. Get really high (borrow a chair) or get real low. You can also take pictures of parts of the car. Ask the owners what makes the car special and what would identify it to other enthusiasts if they saw only a part of the car then take a picture of that part.
    -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
    -I'm a vessel of useless information; just ask my wife.

-Critiques and editing of my pics for DPS always welcome-

Quote Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
    It looks like you took those pictures while you were standing up. That's fine for one or two pictures but the angle gets boring. Get really high (borrow a chair) or get real low. You can also take pictures of parts of the car. Ask the owners what makes the car special and what would identify it to other enthusiasts if they saw only a part of the car then take a picture of that part.
    I did try high and low (low is easier if your my height!) but they still look dull. Though I'm beginning to think its because I find cars dull!?!

"Ask the owners what makes the car special and what would identify it to other enthusiasts if they saw only a part of the car then take a picture of that part."
    Thats a very good idea!! I'll definitely try that this weekend!
    Flickr Portfolio Blog

Canon EOS350D
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 II | Canon EF-S 60mm 1:2.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II | Canon EF-S 55-250mm 1:4-5.6

bradzo66 is offline dPS +1000 Club

Ha ha old wolf and I have followed each other on a similiar post not so long ago . I do a lot of car photography and find the low 3/4 shot to be one of the most effective ,especially for the sports type or muscle cars . Generally I look for the character of the car I'm shooting and try to capture some of its personality . What strikes you about the car when you first look at it , take this and get a good angle (high ,low ,side on ,3/4 )whatever it takes to capture that , you can also do car macros pick an impressive small detail and get in close shallow DoF or clean and crisp , long lines down the side that emphasize its shape and size , also somebody else once mentioned looking at car mags can help . And lastly having some sort of passion for these beautiful machines would help , I love them so have no trouble with this part . Good luck .
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bradzo66/
    I'm as honest as the day is long , the longer the daylight the less I do wrong !!

digirebelva is offline Wondering Where I Am

Its also hard I think to get really good shots at a car show with all the distracting backgrounds...and the limited ability to move around some vehicles to get a better angle..
    Camera Stuff....nuff said

Flickr | Fine Art America | T.A. Wilson Photography

oldwolf is offline Full of useless info.

Here's an example. It's a Firebird that our neighbor's son drove to the prom. The story behind is that it's his dad's Firebird and they have pictures of the son as a baby sitting on the hood of the car. Dad caved and let him drive his baby to his senior prom.

Set up history. It was parked in the driveway with another car just a foot and a half away. Lots of people on the other side of the car ooooing and ahhhing at the couple and taking pictures.

From DPS

Post processed some little rust spots out of the car and made it a bit shinier hehe.

I like the pp you did on the third picture. It gives it a vintage feel. If your mean by dull that it's underexposed then you can always overexpose your images by a stop to see if that gets the feel you're going for.
    -When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
    -I'm a vessel of useless information; just ask my wife.

-Critiques and editing of my pics for DPS always welcome-

kencaleno is offline dPS +1000 Club

Isolate car from background, like this:

-To Isolate Objects against a white background:

Photograph your object using any background, Then:

a) Zoom in 200-300%.
    b) Use the pen selection tool to chart an exact path around the object.
    Get it perfect.
    c) Click on working path Icon in paths palette
    d) Select> Modify> Contract by 2 pixels.
    e) Select> modify> Smooth by 3-5 pixels.
    f) Select> Inverse-.
    g) Select> Feather by 0.2 - 0.5 pixels.
    h) Make sure foreground black/background white - Press Delete.
    You now have isolated object on white background.

Regards, Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kencaleno; 06-07-2009 at 07:37 AM.

OsmosisStudios is offline Don't Panic

Quote Originally Posted by kencaleno View Post
    Isolate car from background, like this:
    No.

This is fine if youre using the image for something in particular, usually in Flash or a layout of some kind, but as a general photo I have to advise STRONGLY against it.

If you can, get the owner to bring the car somewhere with a cool surrounding. I've found a parking lot near my house that works perfectly: it's quiet, has atmosphere and no distracting elements. Underground or multi-storeys are often great places!

The trick isnt to remove the background, but to use it to your advantage!
    I am responsible for what I say; not what you understand.
    adammontpetit.com
    Gear List
    500PX | Graphic Design

ooh I'm quite excited, we went on the bucket and spade run today, I took quite a few photos! I'm still editing them but heres my favourite! I've only done a quick pass over them atm.

@bradzo66 "What strikes you about the car when you first look at it , take this and get a good angle (high ,low ,side on ,3/4 )whatever it takes to capture that , you can also do car macros pick an impressive small detail and get in close shallow DoF or clean and crisp"

I took your advice and I noticed this on one of the vintage citroens!! they had garlic cloves too! lol. I doubt I would have noticed it if I hadn't been looking for details!

@kencaleno I agree with @OsmosisStudios, If I remove the bg theres the problem of "where are these clouds being reflected coming from, wheres the shadow? etc"

ee thanks for your help guys!!! I'm waiting for the next car run now! :P
    Flickr Portfolio Blog

Canon EOS350D

Judi is offline dPS Forum Member

Not a great photographer or anything, but this is what I do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last